With warmer weather finally on the horizon, the rainbow craft kit is here to brighten your days. I love this kit because it allows for so many variations to fully customize. You can even split the layers to create two full products!
With a blank canvas (made from 110# white cardstock, this stuff is heavy duty), your rainbow craft is just waiting for your creativity. Color with crayons, markers, pastels, watercolor – even pour glitter all over parents, choose this at your own risk. Pick your favorite colors and get to work!
1. Use it all
You have 6 layers ready to make a bold and colorful rainbow. My daughter is true to the ROY G BIV (well, in this case, ROY G BP), so she will always choose to make the biggest rainbow she can. Of course, you can branch out and use a less traditional color scheme that works with your imagination or decor.
2. Light up shadow box
Turn your rainbow into a darling nightlight, or a twinkling piece of art.
This works best when you use more layers, and I strongly recommend adding the back square layer (or making your own out of your favorite paper you have). Note: I couldn’t convince my daughter to add it. The back layer help lessens the points of light.
To make your shadow box, you will need:
- square adhesive tape
- LED fairy lights
- shadow box
- Extra cardstock to fill in the difference between the size of the rainbow layers (approximately 5.75×5.75) and the frame
- Place your layers in order (again, I suggest using the back layer with this one!)
- Use square adhesive tape (to help create extra depth) to assemble regular glue or double-sided tape can work, too
- Circle LED lights on the back layer and tape them down to keep them hidden and in place
- If you are using an extra piece of cardstock so your finished product fills in the entire space of your frame (I used a pink foil kraft board), use your adhesive to place your rainbow and lights in the center
- Close the frame and be sure to keep the switch for the lights on the back (you may need to cut a small piece of the frame backing if it won’t close)
- Turn on the lights and admire
3. Less is more
Into a more minimal look? Or maybe you want to split a kit between siblings or friends. Because there are 6 layers in the rainbow and 2 different frames, you can easily divide and conquer.
Separate by size (small vs large) or every other layer for a more open look. Either way, you are sure to find your magical rainbow.
No matter how you style your rainbow craft kit, you will have a piece of happiness. Whimsical and joyful, your rainbow will bring a smile to all who admire it.